0
Thank you to those who left great suggestions and words of encouragement on last week's post!

I do want to elaborate a little further after one reader said:
  
"Reading your post, I wasn't sure if you're tired of the food planning itself, or the actual sticking to the plan part."

That's a great observation, and it got me thinking.

Right now, today, in this moment, I am burnt out of most everything related to healthy living.  I know this will pass, but I just need a short break from it all. 

It has all become rather overwhelming - the constant grind of trying to plan my meals each day/week, feeble attempts at living the Plan day in and day out (not to mention the constant guilt each time I mess up), getting in the exercise and then trying to blog about it all (and more guilt when I fail at this too).  I'm surprised (and proud!) to admit that the only thing that has remained consistent throughout the last year and a half is the rate at which I exercise.  I've maintained my average of 2-3 days per week for a year and a half.  Exercise is not something I'm giving up on because I don't want to.

I'm also weary of having plans for every single scenario:  plans on how to eat when we travel out of town, or hang out with friends, or when I don't feel like cooking when I get home from work, or daily generic meal plans to get me through a "normal" week.  I'm tired of all the planning, especially when it just fails me in the end anyhow! (Yes, Joel - even I hate planning after awhile :)!).

Life as a Weight Watcher (or anyone trying to watch their weight) is filled with spontaneity.  Some people thrive at the challenge of staying On Plan when dining out or being on vacation or visiting friends/family or whatever scenario you can think of.  You could argue that if I planned accordingly for each of these scenarios, I could set myself up for success.  I would argue back that I always have a plan, but apparently my plans suck or the execution of them is extremely poor!

I despise spontaneity.  I don't like when life throws unexpected situations into my weight watching day.  I'm talking about little things, like when a coworker asks me if I want to join him/her at Chick Fil A for lunch, and I'm already starving/dreading what I brought and so I cave and go along for the fried food.  I have a real problem saying 'no' to stuff like that.

But getting back to the reader's observation:  I am tired of food planning for sure.  It's also more that I'm tired/annoyed/frustrated with TRYING to stay On Plan - not so much of being on the Plan itself (since, if I was following it perfectly, I wouldn't even be sitting here writing this - I'd probably be celebrating loss after loss instead!).  While I don't like spontaneity, I do enjoy eating different foods week to week.  I cannot always eat oatmeal for breakfast and turkey sandwiches for lunch and salads for dinner.  I enjoy cooking and variety with my meals - and that's both a benefit and huge downfall of mine.  Years ago when I was most successful on WW, having lost 50 lbs, meal planning was no issue for me!  That's because I ate the same few things day in and day out for about a year - easy peezy.  Today, I cannot stand the sight of a Lean Cuisine/Healthy Choice frozen entree/Smart Ones meal.  But because I tout my love for meal variety, it also comes with a few consequences: time and planning. 

I enjoy preparing my own food, but that takes time (as a sidenote, if I can barely handle my own life plus Joel's, I would never be able to be a parent - I have no idea how they/you do it ALL!).  I try to do as much as I can on the weekends, but again - I'm tired of spending my entire Sunday cooking for the upcoming week.  I want to have the luxury/joy of just having a weekend where I don't have a plan in place related to Weight Watchers!     

As Ryan so assuredly stated:  
 
"No need to give up, just learn, shift, grow, and you can get what you want!"
And that's exactly what I'm doing.






Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category Lacking Motivation / Weight Loss / Weight Watchers by title Let Me Elaborate. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2012/08/let-me-elaborate.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo Let Me Elaborate Updated at : 2:00 PM
Monday, August 13, 2012

Post a Comment

 
Top