0
With the death of my grandmother last November, it became very apparent to me that life is so short, and the importance of living a healthy lifestyle is absolutely essential to a long AND happy life. 

My grandmother suffered from many illnesses, including diabetes, Parkinson's, and ultimately cancer.  She was on countless medications.  Aside from all of the illnesses she dealt with, obesity was probably the single disease that she could have controlled on her own that may have helped eliminate some of her other medical issues, but we will never know.  I can remember as a child and into my adult years always having the 'weight' conversation with my grandma.  I think I had a special connection with her because of it.  I'm the youngest of her only three granddaughters, and the only one who has dealt with being overweight.  She, too, seemed to struggled with it for most of her life.  There was a period of time where she joined TOPS - Take Off Pounds Sensibly.  Grandma seemed rather successful with this, though I currently do not have the photos to share of her moments of triumph, receiving awards and trophies for reaching her weight loss goals.  Still, like so many of us do, life and food got the best of her, and she put that weight back on.  

After spending the last few days of her life by her side in the hospital, I knew that I had to stop going down the self-sabotaging road I was headed.  While there are days when I think otherwise, I'm still a young woman at a fresh 27 years of age, and I still have time to change my life for the better. 

Courtesy of here.


After my final visit with Grandma, I made the drive back from Pittsburgh with a heavy heart, but knowing that it was finally time to change my life.  That week, I signed up for a membership at the local gym.  I am proud to say that I have been going to that gym every single week for at least 4 days/week since I signed up.   And while my progress isn't showing on the scale, it's important to count successes elsewhere.

Though despite all I shared above, that's not to say that I still do not have days like these: 
Courtesy of here.
Still, we must keep on keepin' on... because as they say:  
"When it is darkest, you can see the stars....."
Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category Inspiration / Success by title Drawing Inspiration From Places Other Than the Scale. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2011/04/drawing-inspiration-from-places-other.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo Drawing Inspiration From Places Other Than the Scale Updated at : 11:03 AM
Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Post a Comment

 
Top