0
Teen duo granted US Open wildcardsTeenagers CiCi Bellis and Taylor Townsend have been handed two of eight women's singles wildcards for the upcoming US Open.

Bellis, 15, will be the youngest player in the main draw for the last grand slam of the year, which starts on August 25.

The right-hander, runner-up in the juniors at the French Open, took out the USTA Girls' 18s National Championship on Saturday to earn the wildcard.

Bellis is one of six Americans granted a passage into the main draw.

Townsend, Grace Min, Nicole Gibbs, Danielle Collins and Madison Brengle will also be in the first round.

Townsend, who made the French Open third round, was controversially overlooked for a wildcard in 2012 due to concerns over her weight.

Australian Jarmila Gajdosova and Frenchwoman Amandine Hesse received wildcards through reciprocal agreements the USTA has with Tennis Australia and the French Tennis Federation.

The 101st-ranked Gajdosova, a former world number 25, has won 16 of her past 19 matches.

"I am very excited to be main draw of a grand slam again," she said.

"It's been a long road back but I've been working hard to get healthy and fit and improve my game and my ranking.

"It's taken me six months since I started playing again to get myself back [near] the top 100.

"So I hope to use this opportunity that I was given and I hope to play my best and have some good results."
Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category Bellis / news sports / Taylor Townsend / Teenagers CiCi Bellis / tennis / wildcard by title Teen duo granted US Open wildcards. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2014/08/teen-duo-granted-us-open-wildcards.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Anonymous Teen duo granted US Open wildcards Updated at : 3:45 PM
Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Post a Comment

 
Top