0
No, not me silly...

Bunch of girls at work are all giggly and silly again about another series of dirty books.

First, it was 50 Shades.  I tried to like it, really I did.  I took one for the team and did finish the first book... just couldn't stomach the others.  I needed to read it for the upcoming "50 Shades of Crazy" evening of drunkenness for $1 margarita night.  And that became a bit embarrassing, leaving all of my employees with a starkly different view of me.  They were sitting there with their books and "oh what do you think this means...?" and i started answering them.  I'm not an authority on any of this stuff but i don't recall needing to google anything either.

Then I got them off that and in love with Gideon of the Crossfire Series - Bared to You etc.  I can't remember if she was a virgin or not, but was of course beautiful and he a millionaire.  They're very well written and very hot so good stuff.  All was good in our little slightly perverted world, hard copies of the books making rounds between them.

Here we go again, this time it's the Mile High books by R. K. Lilley.  Yeah, it's 50 Shades all over again.  Only this time, you guessed it, the main characters are flight attendants. She's a naive virgin, of course.  And an excessively orgasmic pain slut to boot.  He's a strapping hunk of a billionaire stalker, of course.

It starts off well enough.  As expected, a grand series of improbable coincidences eventually get his hands in her pants.  Enough of a plot seems to be building for my liking, and even though the premise is silly, I can see reading through this.  Plus I bought a set of 4 (there might be more, i hear?) so I really needed to get through at least one.

Then it happened.  Grammar.  Or rather lack thereof. 

Now, while you read this, you surely must think there's no way I can possibly be concerned with grammar.  It's true to some extent.  See, my sentence structure is very incorrect and I know it.  But I'm floating somewhere in between spoken language and written. And it's a blog.  And nobody paid anybody to read this.  And if you did, kindly send the funds my way next time.  And frankly, i enjoy starting my sentences with the word 'and' lol.  The big thing, though, is my bad grammar doesn't affect the meaning of what i'm writing nor does it confuse.  My thoughts are confusing, not my words.

I must add, as well, that I am not talking about a single mistake here or there.  It's the same mistake over and over again to the point that it's difficult to follow what she's saying.  When I have to put the book down because i'm overwhelmed with trying to decipher meaning, that's where it becomes a problem.

The first issue, probably 20 pages in... Ms. Lilley, dear, there is a difference between the word 'desert' and the word 'dessert' and these are very important distinctions.  All would be fine, had we been enjoying dessert while we looked out over the views of the desert.  But no, we snacked on a sandy concoction while we admired the cheesecake in the distance.  Ok, whatever, leave it at that.  But no, I had to struggle over several paragraphs trying to sort out the details of that after dinner scene.

I overlooked this, until this afternoon when i stumbled upon another inexcusable problem.  I don't think I hit page 100 yet!  I mean, I know not everyone understands these details.  It's not a big deal, really it isn't.  I just feel like somewhere along the line between rough draft and a published book available for purchase, that at some point somebody with a grasp of basic grammar would catch these mistakes.

So what was it this time?  It's an issue with it and its apostrophes.  This ruined the book so badly for me that I had to stop reading.  My 3rd grade students already knew better than to turn in work like this.  My 6 year old (a very avid writer) sometimes asks if/when/where apostrophes were needed.  Since she's aware of that rules exist, I must assume that some adult along the writing and publishing pipeline should.

In review:
Its = a possessive form of it, as in "Where is its handle?"
It's = a contraction meaning 'it is' as in "It's on the door"
Desert = a sandy place where cacti grow
Dessert = a sweet treat aftera meal

 Off my soapbox now. 
Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category by title Mile High Club. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2013/09/mile-high-club.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo Mile High Club Updated at : 3:11 PM
Monday, September 23, 2013

Post a Comment

 
Top