0
I had my total abdominal hysterectomy on April 11. After the surgery my oncologist surgeon told me everything looked good. She was sure I didn't have cancer. Since there was less than 1% chance that my fibroid was cancerous I felt confident that everything was good.

The surgery went well, although the pain after the surgery was hideous. I have a six inch vertical cut from my belly button down to right above my pelvic bone. It's not pretty but it was necessary to remove my uterus and the fibroid intact.

When I came out of the recovery room my three best friends were there waiting for me. I'm really lucky to have such great friends that care for me. I don't know how I'd get through this without them.

My body parts, uterus, fibroid, cervix and one ovary (one was left inside of me) were all sent to the lab to be biopsied. On April 17th I received a phone call from my surgeon's associate (my doctor was on vacation) that I have Uterine Leiomyosarcoma. She told me it was an extremely rare and aggressive cancer. The conversation was short since I had a followup visit with my surgeon on April 24.

After researching Uterine Leimyosarcoma (ULMS) online, I was very upset. This isn't the good uterine cancer, the one with a 90% five-year survival rate. This one is different. It's so rare that there isn't much known about it. It affects six in one million women.

I called my doctor's associate back last Thursday and asked several questions. I'm in Stage 1B which sounds good, but even at this stage it only has a 50% five-year survival rate. Those aren't very good odds. Also, the larger the tumor is over 5 cm (mine was 12 cm) the more likely it will reoccur even if all of it was removed during surgery. I'm thankful I'm not in Stage II since that stage only has a survival rate of 0 - 20%.

I stumbled across a blog by a woman that was diagnosed four and half years ago with Stage II ULMS. She's still going strong, but she had to completely change her life. From removing stress factors to changing her diet to all organic, natural foods and no sugar. Cancer feeds off of sugar.

Cancer also feeds off of estrogen, which is why I have to have my second ovary removed as soon as possible. Even though I'm postmenopausal it's still producing a minute amount of estrogen.

Fat also produces estrogen, so I'm on a diet. Not a crazy, starve myself type of diet, but a whole foods, healthy diet.

Other than the cancer, the criminal trial is on schedule for June 11 and the divorce in November. Very stressful events that I'm trying to handle without making myself crazy. I can't wait for this to all be over.

I will fight this cancer as hard as I can, and I'll do the best to change my life. It's not going to be easy, but it'll be worth it.



Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category by title I have cancer. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2013/04/i-have-cancer.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo I have cancer Updated at : 11:28 AM
Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Post a Comment

 
Top