0
Bette Davis, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex  (1939)

When I received an email from Rick Armstrong the other day telling me that I'd been awarded the Classic Movie Blog Association's 2011  "Best Review/Drama" CiMBA for my post on The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, I was thrilled - and also surprised. The post had originally been my entry in CMBA's "Movies of 1939 Blogathon" last spring and I'd always thought of it as something of an outlier, being about a film that isn't generally counted among the truly great films of that much-vaunted movie year.
I took another look at the post and read it with, I'll admit, a certain amount of pride (deserved or misplaced...who knows), and what came through most for me as I re-read my own words was the depth of my admiration for Bette Davis. I remembered that The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, though a moneymaker for Warners and a nominee for five Academy Awards, was bereft of statuettes and plaques. And I thought with some satisfaction (and cheek), "At last, Bette, this film that you were so eager to make, that you insisted was your 'tankard of tea,' has won an award!"

Thanks to everyone who voted for my CiMBA entry - as well as those who simply liked it.  I'm honored.
Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category 2011 CiMBA Awards / Bette Davis / The Lady Eve (author) / The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex by title Thank You. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2011/10/thank-you.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo Thank You Updated at : 10:31 PM
Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Post a Comment

 
Top