0
I typed this yesterday, a paragraph here and there throughout the day, then forgot to hit "publish" before I went to bed. So this really was my day yesterday, Tuesday.

My addiction isn't as interesting or dangerous as eating my couch (where do they find those people?), but I'm addicted to buying (not eating) magazines. I buy a magazine or two at a time, sometimes I read an article or two, sometimes not. After a couple months (or after watching a Hoarders episode) I throw them all away. Usually 20-30 magazines at a time, mostly health related. Really a waste of money.

I guess I could take then to a senior center, but would they really want to read articles like "Sexy Abs, Butt & Thighs"? There's something similar on almost every magazine cover.

Right now I'm looking at a stack of 25 from June, July, August, September. Everything from Oxygen (my fave), Women's Health, Fitness, Oprah Magazine, Shape, Weight Watchers, Natural Health, Prevention and many more. Some of them I haven't even cracked open.

Normally this is about the time I toss all of them, but since I have all this free time, I'm trying to go through two magazines a day.

So what did I learn today? Tons of stuff.

New exercises that I can do with my right arm.

Several fun, healthy recipes I want to try.

Lots of weight loss tips, like did you know cayenne pepper can reduce cravings. Just 1/2 a teaspoon added to your food (which sounds like a lot to me!). I wonder if this is where that cayenne pepper, lemon and molasses in water fast came from that Beyonce did a few years ago.

A book I'm going to order from the library, Joy Bauer's Food Cures. I read a review on it at the vet's office a few days ago (Woman's Day I think), and then in one of my magazines. Sounds interesting.

Best organic protein powder according to Women's Health, Orgain. I checked out the nutritional information on it and I totally disagree. 255 calories a serving! 13 grams of sugar! 7 grams of fat!  And its only 16 grams of protein. Supposedly you get the equivalent of ten servings of fruits and veggies per serving and it's organic (and very expensive)..

I love my MRM Egg White Protein French Vanilla. It's only 120 calories a serving, 0 grams sugar (uses Stevia), 0 grams fat and 23 grams of protein, and it tastes great in my green monster smoothies with a little banana (100 grams), berries (150 grams) and spinach. The only downside is I'm sure it's not from free-range chicken eggs, but you can't have everything.

The truth is all this magazine reading feels a bit like information overload. It's just too much stuff to take in.

Workout bra frustration
I came home from the gym today after an hour of "moderate" cardio (bike, treadmill, crossramp), heart rate 124-134 for most of it so I don't sweat too much into my cast. I was still drenched in sweat. I fought with my workout bra for at least ten minutes and couldn't get it off. It was one of the t-strap kind that's a pull-over type. I can get it on okay but when it's sweaty I need help getting the thing off. Since I was home alone and totally mad and hot and sweaty, I took a pair of scissors and cut it off. That's right, an almost new $35 workout bra in the trash!

Look what I just ordered!
A CastCooler! I'm so excited about this that I can hardly stand it. I want it right now but have to wait 3-5 days for shipping. Especially since my orthopedic surgeon faxed a letter to my work on Monday that I'll be in a cast a minimum of three months. I'm really hoping he's wrong.

Closet cleaning
What was I thinking when I got a wild hair this morning and pulled everything out of my closet (with my one good hand)? Major disaster. It looks like a bomb went off in here. I had good intentions, but forgot how much harder the simplest task is with only one hand. Try putting on fitted bed sheets with one hand (I could write an entire post about that dreadful experience). I did that this morning before I got the crazy closet cleaning bug.

I saw something on the Today show last week that 70% of the junk in our closet shouldn't be there because we don't use it and will never use it. So true but this is a major non-fun chore that I kind of wish I hadn't started! Too late now.

At least I have a lot of time.
Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category by title My strange addiction. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-strange-addiction.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo My strange addiction Updated at : 5:14 AM
Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Post a Comment

 
Top