0
I'm still in Fairbanks, getting ready to pack up my suitcase and flying home to Seattle later today.

I've had a great seven days with my sister. I'm so very blessed to have her in my life. Even though there's 17 years difference in our ages (she's 72, I'm 55), we have a very close connection.

It's funny that we are so close now, but we barely had a relationship at all for the first 47 years of my life. We lived in different states, she was married with four children. I didn't marry until I was 33, and I never had children. We thought we had absolutely nothing in common.

Then our mother, that we both adored, became ill about eight years ago. We spent three weeks together, taking care her. Just my mom, who was very sick, my sister and myself.

We discovered a lot about each other during that time and realized we have a lot in common. In fact, it's almost like we're the same person. We have the same sense of humor, the same view of life, and the same struggles with our weight. We think the same and like an old married couple, we often finish sentences for each other because we know what the other is thinking.

We've had a great visit, actually getting some time where it was just the two of us. I love my brother and my two nieces and their families, but sometimes I just want to talk with my sister. This is the first visit since my brother-in-law passed away that other people didn't stay at the house while I was here. They were over during the day, but they went home at night. My sister and I stayed up after midnight most nights just talking. I'm so blessed to have her in my life.

I leave on the 5:15 p.m. flight, non-stop to Seattle. It's a three and half hour flight. I'm eager to get home, but at the same time, sad to leave my sister.

The good thing is I'll be back in July when my brother's daughter and her family fly in from New Jersey. I haven't seen her in over twenty years. We're all a little nervous since we lost contact for several years (my brother divorced her mother about 33 years ago). I think it'll be a good visit. I've talked to this niece on the phone lately and she seems like a really sweet, dear person. It'll be fun to get to know her better, along with her husband and 10-year old daughter that none of us have ever met.

The diet & exercise 
I've been doing my usual of eating at night. Perfect all day, then raiding the refrigerator at night. My sister sleeps upstairs and my room is right off the kitchen. My favorite food of choice lately is Tillamook extra sharp cheddar cheese. My sister keeps a 2-pound block of the stuff in the fridge. She eats about 1/2 ounce a day. I've been eating about six ounces a day. Add in some of the grand-kids candy I've been snacking on in the middle of the night, and I'm sure I have a weight gain.

Exercise has been non-existent. My sister is still a little sick from the pneumonia she had a couple weeks ago and hasn't been going to the gym. She normally does water aerobics five days a week and never misses a class unless she's ill, which is almost never. The pneumonia really knocked her down hard, and although she's almost well, she was still too sick to exercise.

I walked down to the Tanana river with one of my nieces one day (about three miles round-trip), but that's been it for my exercise. There's the treadmill upstairs that I could have used, but honestly, it's like we wanted to squeeze in as much visiting time as possible. I didn't want to go upstairs by myself and exercise. It just didn't seem right and I didn't want to do it.

Tomorrow I'll get back in the exercise routine, and I'm just itching to get back to the gym. I can honestly say I really miss it. Today I'll eat lightly and healthy, since there won't be any more cheese in my life. :)


Plus, I haven't read any blogs all week, and I miss you guys! I've barely been on the computer at all, which is really weird for me but at the same time, sort of refreshing. It turns out I can live without spending hours on the computer (although I really do sort of miss it).
Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category by title Going home today. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2011/05/going-home-today.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo Going home today Updated at : 7:55 AM
Thursday, May 12, 2011

Post a Comment

 
Top