0

It's 6pm, and I'm sitting here in my gray banshee wig and witch costume. I'm wearing outrageous eye makeup with black eyebrows, black glitter eye shadow and red lipstick. I have black spider stickers on each side of my face. I'm waiting for the little ones to start ringing the doorbell, yelling "Trick or Treat!". I already have a headache. I hate wigs. This is the last year I'll be wearing a wig. I forgot how uncomfortable they can be (although I had on a different one last week and it wasn't this bad). 

I've never dressed up for the kids before. I don't know why I decided to do so this year. It seemed like a good idea at the time. We have a lot of kids on my street and they all know me. The last few years I made the decision that I was sick and tired of handing out candy that I couldn't eat and it wasn't good for the kids anyway. So we'd turn off all the lights and head out to a scary movie at the theater. Talk about being a Halloween Scrooge.

For some reason I had a change of heart this year. I dressed up for work last week so I had a costume (actually, I bought two - a witch and vampire). Tonight I'm the witch because I can't talk very well with the vampire teeth. Of course, now I'm thinking maybe this was a stupid idea. The wig is bugging me and the makeup is itchy.

I just answered the door to the third set of kids. They seem to be getting a kick out of me being dressed up as a witch. I love the wide eyes of the little ones. Maybe they think this is what I always look like.

My husband is still mowing the lawn (at 6pm...???). The motion detector gigantic brown recluse spider hanging over the front door is continually yelling, screaming, howling. I need to turn off his sound until the mowing stops. I'm just too tired.

Strangely the candy isn't bothering me and it's all my favorite stuff, Twix, Mounds, Kit Kats, M&Ms (no problem with the Reese cups since I have a peanut allergy). They're nice sized bars that are about two or three bites, at about 80 calories each. I really have no interest.

The caramel cake I had Thursday night has pretty much done me in on sweets for probably a long time. I can still taste the intense sweetness of the brown sugar in the frosting, the slight grittiness against my teeth. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really didn't like it that much. I never want to have it again. It wasn't that it was a bad tasting cake, it just wasn't all that great. The same with the Häagen-Dazs ice cream. Maybe it's because I'm associating these foods with a sleepless night, filled with tossing and turning and a bad bout of night sweats. I really don't want a repeat of that night. I accept that I failed and I may fail again, but the sickening sweet taste is still too familiar. Perhaps I'm not as addicted to sugar as I once thought.

I'm 100% back on track this weekend and actually tracking my food online and drinking tons of water. Three hours of exercise between yesterday and today.

I even tried out a couple cardio machines I've never used before. I tried the recumbent bike because Bally's had a thing on their Bally TV about it, that it looks like the Lazy Boy of workout machines but you could get a really good workout on it. I hated it. After thirty minutes on the crossramp I tried the recumbent for twenty minutes. It was pure misery. I like the upright stationary bike or the spin cycle or a real bike, but that recumbent is really uncomfortable, my back is still hurting.

Then I tried the old rowing machine. It looks like an antique torture contraption, and I never see anyone using it. It has a steel chain with a bar attached to it. There are slabs of wood with straps on them that you hook your feet into and grab the bar and pull back. It's not fancy at all, but boy was it difficult. My heart rate zoomed up to 135 in about a minute (remember, I'm old and my resting HR is 49...so 135 is high for me). I did it for ten minutes and thought I was going to die. I burned 80 calories in that ten minutes according to my Polar heart rate monitor (that thinks I weigh 152 pounds because I never changed it because you know I'm going to lose that 25 pounds I gained :).

Okay, I'm ready for Halloween to be over. It's only 7:45 p.m. and the kids keep coming. About forty kids so far, and most of them I didn't know (and some were kind of old for Trick or Treating).

I'm feeling nauseous from the wig. I'm just about ready to pull it off and let my  natural hair be my witch hair. My husband is having no part of handing out the candy which really isn't like him at all. Usually when we did do the candy thing in the past he was always the one to hand it out. Not sure what's up with him this year.

Damn...the doorbell again.
Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category by title Halloween Eve. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2010/10/halloween-eve.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo Halloween Eve Updated at : 8:04 PM
Sunday, October 31, 2010

Post a Comment

 
Top