0
"Boxing isn't new to me."

This is the statement given by  George Zimmerman, who was acquitted of second-degree murder in February of 2012 in the shooting death of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman is planning to fight in a celebrity boxing match and is on the lookout for an opponent for his March 1st fight. The highly controversial fight is being promoted by Damon Feldman and comes on the heels successfully capitalizing on his celebrity status in December by auctioning a flag painting on eBay, selling the artwork for just over $100,000.

Although the money from the fight is allegedly going to charity, the specific charity will not be named. “I’d love to tell you [the charity] but unfortunately there’s so much animosity still from people out there, that if I name the charity now they would get bombarded with negativity, so I’d rather not, I’ll leave it up to them to say if they want it to be publicized or not. But I will tell you that it’s an animal rescue."

Speaking of animosity, a few celebrities have already spoken out on taking up Zimmerman on his challenge, specifically to prove a point. Rapper The Game said, "I would not be boxing for me.  I’d be boxing for the legacy of Trayvon Martin and for his family. He continued, I would box him to knock him out…I would definitely take pleasure in it.  It’s legal, and I want to show him you can solve your disputes without a weapon.” Rapper DMX also commented on the getting in the ring with Zimmerman saying that he wants to fight him for " every black person who has been done wrong in the system." DMX continued on saying, "I am going to beat the living f**k out him … I am breaking every rule in boxing to make sure I f**k him right up." "Once I am done with him, I am going to whip my d**k out and piss on him ... right in his muthaf**kin face." "Zimmerman is a piece of s**t and that’s what he needs to drink."

News of the fight is not only being met with animosity from celebrities but from those who found injustice with the verdict of the 2012 murder trial during which prosecutors accused Zimmerman of profiling, following and shooting Martin, who was a guest in a gated neighborhood in the town of Sanford, Florida as Martin was returning from a trip to a convenience store to buy Skittles and iced tea. Zimmerman, who was a neighborhood watch captain at the time of the shooting claimed self defense and in July 2013 was acquitted by a jury of second-degree murder and manslaughter charges in Martin's death.

A comment left by user Andigravity on ChicagoTribune.com read, "Well, that's nice. I mean, some people might be contrite about the fact they murdered a teenager and do something outlandish, like try their best to blend back into a quiet life, but it takes someone of real character and principle to turn the event into the kind of ongoing, attention-grabbing, money-grubbing farce that George Zimmerman has. And now Mr. "I had to shoot him because I don't know how to punch people back" is planning on making a spectacle of himself by volunteering to get into a ring and beat someone up... why? Just to spit all over Trayvon Martin's grave and prove to everyone he and his lawyers played the Florida judicial system for suckers by claiming he was too helpless to fight back using any other means by stepping up and proving he's perfectly capable of doing so? What's next? A series of paintings collectively entitled "If I planned to kill him and make it look like an accident, here's how I would have done it?"

Another comment left by Perry Tomfoolery said, "Sidenote, all of a sudden He's "not new to boxing" after his defense under oath was based on him NOT being able to defend himself.... Which one is it?"

Ultimately the question that lies at the root of it all isn't one of race but of morality. What is there to be said for the concept of justice when a man is acquitted of murder charges against a child because he claims he was helpless yet once let off the hook claims that he's been boxing for years and plans to make money off of the notoriety gained from the trial?

Follow Brittnye Webb-Earl on Twitter @BeeNoelle
Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category by title George Zimmerman Boxing For Charity, the Injustice Continues. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2014/02/george-zimmerman-boxing-for-charity.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Anonymous George Zimmerman Boxing For Charity, the Injustice Continues Updated at : 5:30 AM
Monday, February 3, 2014

Post a Comment

 
Top