0
I certainly hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.
I certainly did.


As skinny as I am you would be tempted to think I don't eat much. Working Swingshift I don't get to eat "dinner" usually, two or three sandwiches and some other stuff is pretty typical for the day after a small breakfast.
I usually don't eat a whole lot at one time but I can put it away when I want.

3 plate fulls yesterday and I wasn't miserable at all, just full.

I know, you hate me. ;)

Anyways, after I pigged out we had a nice visit with my brothers and their families for a while.
Then we had to load up and head over towards Mt Hood on the Oregon side to my wife's parents place to visit.
It takes about forty minutes to get there.
While I was there I got to bullshitting with her dad about firearms. He sold most of his a few months ago but he still had a couple.

He dug out the cutest little antique Top Break .32 he said he had gotten many years ago.
I looked it over pretty good as I had never seen one of that vintage.

I did some internet searching on it and found out it is a Iver Johnson First Model Top Break .32 black powder cartridge pocket gun.


Not quite as good condition as that one but as it was made in 1884 or '85 it was in pretty damn good shape. The little lever above and behind the cylinder that opens it up is on a pin and it falls right out but other than that and some nickel finish blemishes, it still has the original grips and the bore is still in good shape.

What piqued my curiosity enough to do an internet search on it was the information stamped into the bridge over the barrel;

" Iver Johnson's Arm and Cycle Works Fitchburg, Mass. U.S.A. Patd April 6, 86, Feb 15, 87, May 10, 87, Dec 26, 93"


Firearms and cycle works?!

WTF?

It turns out they made scads of these things back in the day in different calibers and variations.

One thing that was REALLY interesting is that it is the exact same model of revolver that was used to shoot President McKinley, which ultimately killed his ass.


Unfortunately, even as old as it is I also found out there are still so many of 'em out there that they aren't worth squat.
A couple hundred bucks in mint condition.

It was still pretty interesting to see and learn about though.
One day it will make a nice little wall hanger.


Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category by title Just A Cute Little Thing. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2013/11/just-cute-little-thing.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo Just A Cute Little Thing Updated at : 2:35 AM
Friday, November 29, 2013

Post a Comment

 
Top