0
I found out I was pregnant on a Wednesday.  By that Friday I had a doctor's appointment with my primary care physician just to verify the results (This probably seems odd in hindsight, but I really didn't know what I should be doing in this situation.  Plus I have zero knowledge of the OB's in the area.)  She confirmed the results, and basically stated that over-the-counter pregnancy tests are just as reliable as the urine tests they run in their office.

That afternoon Joel and I decided to tell both of our parents the news.  Even though I would've only been about 6 weeks pregnant, we were still upset over it.  We thought that by telling them and hearing their reaction, it might help cheer us up.  Of course, they were both very excited and it did help us feel a little better about everything.  In fact, both of us shared the news with many people straight away.  I know that is a big, old pregnancy faux-pas because of the vulnerability of the fetus in the first trimester.  However, I needed to talk about it.  I needed to hear positive reactions and words of comfort to keep me going.  Plus, my coworkers were beginning to question why I wasn't showing up to work.  I don't regret doing this.  

By the following Monday I was set to have my very first appointment with the OBGYN, but it got cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy.  By this time, I was in full fledged "all day sickness" mode.  There was no such thing as "morning sickness" with me.  I attempted work for two straight days the following week and had to leave both days by noon.  Fortunately, I can work at home.  But for those who work jobs that don't allow that kind of flexibility, I don't know how you do it!

I literally felt like I was dying a slow death each day.  The smell of most things nauseated me, and trying to find things to eat was a whole new challenge.   The sight of ALL food gagged me.  I had to go buy unscented body wash, hand soap and deodorant   Joel had to take over laundry duty because I couldn't stand to smell the detergent.  Even loading the dishwasher and seeing bits of food on the plates was enough to send me over the edge! (This is why I've been absent of comments from many of your blogs - reading about food - I could not take it!  I even had to take about 2 months off from Pinterest because I couldn't bear seeing pictures of food on there!)  I had a hard time showering - something about the water made me nauseous.  Brushing my teeth.... oh Lord!  I couldn't attempt that until at least noon every day because first thing in the morning was just asking for a disaster.

To say the least, I was in total disbelief that this was all happening, and so quickly at that.  Literally, overnight, my world was turned upside down with the daily bouts of sickness and going to bed at 7 PM - I was having such a hard time processing it.   I lost total control of everything - God was definitely testing us!  Some things I found comfort in during that time was watching re-runs of Roseanne followed by Reba.  That became my nightly routine!  I also caught up on all the DVR'd episodes of 19 Kids and Counting - another show that comforted me.  Also, Joel was so incredibly helpful and positive throughout the entire ordeal, I wouldn't know what to do without him!


Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category Baby Busbee by title Pregnancy: In the Beginning - Part 1. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2013/02/pregnancy-in-beginning-part-1.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo Pregnancy: In the Beginning - Part 1 Updated at : 5:56 AM
Thursday, February 14, 2013

Post a Comment

 
Top