0

Hola y’all! Well here are, another Sunday night and it’s my turn to blog and I got nothing. What else is new, right? Okay, maybe I’ll turn off the TV and try to focus for just a couple of minutes. It’s worth a try, right?

This weekend was pretty interesting. There was a big swing of emotions from the sadness of the massacre in Newton, CT to the news that Schmoop doesn’t have cancer and her surgery went well then back to the sadness mixed with anger over the shooting again. All this helped along by all the stupidity being spewed on Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr. Everyone wants action but all they have to offer are platitudes, bumper sticker slogans, political propaganda and personal attacks on anyone who disagrees with them in the slightest. So that was fun.

My favorites were the people who just posted the text of the Second Amendment. Yeah, and??? What the fuck was that supposed to mean? That it’s absolute? Are you saying that there can be no legal interpretations of the Second Amendment that result in any regulating of firearms? How come those same people never post the text of the Fourth or Fifth Amendments while the govt is monitoring private conversations, reading our emails, keeping track of our reading materials we get from the library and holding American citizens indefinitely without charges or fair and impartial trials? Not to mention the creation of “free speech zones” and other bullshit like that. And don't even get me started on that Fake Morgan Freeman "statement" and that sad but ridiculous "I Am Adam Lanza's Mother" post.

I never get into the gun control debates because I know how the game is played. I know that anything short of super strict regulation and extensive banning of many different kinds of guns (or all guns) is unacceptable to the gun control crowd. And any opinion expressed that fall short of it results in being shouted down.

By the same token if the slightest hint of any kind of gun registration, or the registering of people who put on gun shows and sell guns or even talk about holding people personally responsible for their guns means getting shouted down by the other side. That’s how we do things now. Anything other than the extremes means nothing but personal attacks and angry responses.

I’ve never been a gun control guy, but I will say this much, if your argument against gun control is that we just have to accept that things like the Newtown shooting are going to happen then fuck you. That’s bullshit. Accepting that things like this are “going to happen” means accepting that children are going to get slaughtered by some asshole wearing body armor and carrying several semi-automatic weapons to guarantee our “freedoms?” Nope. Not gonna accept that.

But you know the worst part of all this is the misinformation. All the bullshit that gets reported and then gets passed along on social media that turns out not to be true. It’s bad enough that the media gets stuff wrong, but then people take those bits and pieces of bad info that fits their agendas and they use it and refuse to acknowledge being wrong. They just can’t give up the narrative. And again, what are you gonna do? Tell them they’re wrong about some piece of news that wasn’t true? If you do you’re either a “gun nut” or you want to “take everyone’s guns away.” I think I unfollowed more people on Twitter and Tumblr on Saturday than I have in my social media life combined. And there’s a couple of Facebook that just about to get the boot too.

Yeah, I know, I haven’t offered any answers or solutions either. That’s because I don’t have any. I haven’t a clue what to do. Not about guns or mental health issues or any of it. But hey, at least I admit it and don’t try to act like an expert or a sociologist or a lawyer or specially trained FBI criminal behavior analysts or some shit like so many of you do.

Jayman
Jayman3768@gmail.com
@Jayman_IWS



In happier news, on Saturday's episode of I'm With Stupid we celebrated the great news about Schmoop and then talked about the awesomeness of being single! You know, the lonely nights, drinking alone, eating alone and general lack of companionship. So. Much. Fun!


Listen to internet radio with Im With Stupid on Blog Talk Radio



Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category by title I Have No Answers. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2012/12/i-have-no-answers.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo I Have No Answers Updated at : 9:00 PM
Sunday, December 16, 2012

Post a Comment

 
Top