0
Good Tuesday to ya!

Hopefully you all got to enjoy a nice, long holiday weekend.  I had 4 days off, but was busy for every single second of them!  The goal for the weekend was to get my life in order before classes started (today) and also to get our DJ and wedding photographer squared away.  Check. Check. Check!



Housecleaning
#1 - I'm still playing catch up on my Google Reader with all of your blog posts!  I try to follow every person who comes to The Big Weight and comments (plus a few others!), and I'm just extremely behind.  Ever since the holidays, I cannot get caught up.  It's going to get worse too because of school.  So having said that, know that I'm still reading your posts, I'm just VERY behind!

#2 - I know that from now until the end of April my life is going to be devoted to: work, school, & wedding.  Tumbleweeds may start blowing around these parts.  I just want to put it out there.  I will absolutely check in weekly to let you all know how the weight loss is progressing, but by no means will I be posting daily.  I will try to post as often as I can.

Phew! Glad I got that all off my chest.

Recipe
I tried this great recipe over the weekend, thanks to Paula Deen's Deen Family Cookbook.


I had a hankering for some hearty oatmeal, and boy did I find it in the Papa Bear Oatmeal.  Now, before you immediately discount it as a healthy recipe, just give it a chance!  It received, on average, 5 full stars on the Food Network website! 

I admit that if you follow the recipe exactly as she lays it out, it becomes caloric quickly.  However, with some modifications, you can definitely make this fit within your Daily PointsPlus allowance (or whatever plan you follow).

 
So, without further adieu:

Papa Bear Oatmeal - 9 PointsPlus (don't be scared - make it to suit you!)
Ingredients:
  •     1/8 teaspoon salt
  •     2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant or quick cooking)
  •     3 1/2 cups water
  •     2/3 cup raisins
  •     1 banana, sliced
  •     1 cup sliced strawberries
  •     1/2 cup heavy cream (I used half & half)
  •     Brown sugar, for serving
  •     Honey, for serving

Directions
In a medium saucepan, bring 3 1/2 cups water and the salt to a boil. Stir in the oats and simmer until almost thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in the raisins and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more

Spoon the oatmeal into individual bowls and serve. Place the banana and strawberry slices, cream, brown sugar, and honey into the oatmeal bowl. Stir if desired.

Makes 4 Servings



Modifications
Let me just say... I'm used to eating my oatmeal with only water.  Never have I ever put milk/cream in mine.  Boy, what a difference that makes!  So, having said that, here is what I did:

1. After making the oatmeal, I measured out 1 cup of the cooked oatmeal with the raisins.
2. I added 2 tsp of brown sugar, 1/2 sliced banana, 1 cup strawberries, 1/8 cup half & half, and 1 tsp of honey. 

That is how I got to 9 PointsPlus.  However, you could cut back further on the sugar/honey or reduce your serving size of the oatmeal from 1 cup to a 1/2 cup.  You could eliminate the cream all together, but I would try not to :).... it really adds something to it!  Trust me, it's worth playing around with.  It's incredibly filling AND you're getting to knock out those fruit servings.  If you're someone who struggles with the daily fruit/veggie intake {like me}, then this is a great way to sneak those in.

Do you have a favorite oatmeal combination you like?

Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category Deen Family Cookbook / Paula Deen / wedding / Weight Watcher Recipes by title Papa Bear Oatmeal & Some Housecleaning. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2012/01/papa-bear-oatmeal-some-housecleaning.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo Papa Bear Oatmeal & Some Housecleaning Updated at : 9:07 AM
Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Post a Comment

 
Top