0
I got cable back. This was quite the wonderful happening for me. I called my large cable conglomerate (who shall remain nameless) to see about getting my Internet and phone moved. When they inquired about my cable, I told them I couldn't afford it. But they said they could get me the basic channels at no extra charge to my bill! So I decided to get it back.

Because I have those core channels back, I get my weekend sports back. College football, the NFL, MLB on Fox, golf, and tennis. Sure, I don't get the 24-hour sports channels, but most of the important events are aired on one of the four major networks.

One of the events that I was fortunate to view was the World Track and Field Championships on NBC. Usually, when NBC airs Olympic events, most people tend to ignore it. After all, it's not an Olympic year. Why should anybody care?

Well, considering I had a boring weekend ahead of me, I cared. The Championships aired from Friday August 26 through Sunday September 4. NBC only aired the Saturday and Sunday events from the two weekends, and only for 1 1/2 hours in the early afternoon, but I was in front of my TV.

I got to watch athletes that I remembered from the Olympics in 2008. A few of those athletes were not here this year - Jeremy Wariner, Lolo Jones, Stephanie Brown Trafton. But I did see a lot of familiar faces.

Allyson Felix, who ran the 200 in Beijing, ran the 200 (and got bronze) and she also ran the 400 this year and got silver! I hope she doubles again next year in London. Sanya Richards, who is now married and runs as Sanya Richards-Ross, competed in the 400 but did not medal this time around. Walter Dix is a speed runner who is probably our best bet for silver in London. I say silver because unless Usain Bolt of Jamaica gets disqualified (like he did this year in the 100m final), there really is no chance for anyone else to win the 100 or 200 meters.

While there were many familiar faces who repeated in their feats, I recognized many athletes from previous championships that won this year! Lashinda Demus competed in Berlin in 2009, but this year she won the 400m hurdles! Carmelita Jeter also competed in 2009 and won the 100m this year. Trey Hardee repeated as world champion in the decathlon.

And some new athletes who I saw this week made statements for themselves to be the frontrunners for London. Ashton Eaton won silver in the decathlon. Jenny Simpson won the 1500 meters. Jesse Williams won the men's high jump event.

If you're reading this and say, "I don't care," well, next year you'll come back and read this Blurb and go, "Hey, she mentioned this winner last year!" I'm keeping an eye out for the stars (and busts, too) of London, just for you!
Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category by title The Blurb: Track and Field Worlds. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2011/09/the-blurb-track-and-field-worlds.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo The Blurb: Track and Field Worlds Updated at : 12:29 PM
Saturday, September 3, 2011

Post a Comment

 
Top