0
Joel and I had a safe and awesome trip to/from Savannah, GA.

We spent 10+ hours in the car (we stopped a few times on the ride down and back), but the actual drive time was 9.5 hours.


We spent half of our week in Savannah and the other half in Tybee Island.

The time spent in Savannah was filled with LOTS of walking.  In the first full day there, we walked over 6 miles on just the self walking tour alone!  We made sure to check out as many of the Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil hotspots as we could, including a tour of the Mercer-Williams house.

We toured the entire Historic District, along with the River district. We did a lot of shopping and did a few guided tours as well.  We took a river boat cruise.  We rode around in a trolley bus listening to ghost stories about the townsfolk (Savannah is one of the most haunted cities!) and also took the lovely Paula Deen tour :).
The church where her and her current husband were married.


My honest assessment overall on some of the things we did is this: I pictured the River District to be a little more....."cool" - filled with sidewalk-dining eateries, coffee shops, antique stores, local arts stores etc.  Not really the case at all.  I know the town is probably trying to maintain the original "look" to this part of town, but I just wasn't impressed.  The shops were mainly those that you find at the beach - filled with stuff that is "Made in China".  The ones that pertained to local artistry were way out of our budget!  We stopped into a few bars and had drinks and even ate dinner down there at one point, but this was definitely not what I had pictured and not my favorite part of Savannah.  I enjoyed the Historic District most - the tree lined streets were definitely in full swing!  As for the PD tour - the only things we really did that were exclusively PD related was going to tour the church her and Michael were married in, which sits on a property that Paula has invested a lot of money in - a boys home called Bethesda.  The rest of it was spent driving us around to various local shops (including a candy store and cookie store).  Overall, I still really enjoyed the tour - we had an awesome guide who knows PD personally and told us a lot of stories about how she got her start in Savannah and on the Food Network.  

Of course, I had good intentions of trying to stay On Plan while on vacation, and I failed..... miserably.  I took some WW friendly snacks, and while the trip started off well, it quickly went downhill.  I'm not good at staying On Plan when eating out.  Whats the point in eating out if you have to order things you really don't want to eat?  Despite all our walking, I still gained weight on this trip.  I actually even took the scale with me, with the intention of weighing in each day to help keep me on track.  Instead, I became scared of it and only weighed in on the first morning  (which, btw, I did have a loss that morning - why couldn't I keep the momentum going??) :(.

not exactly the type of homes I imagined, but still pretty none the less
I weighed in last Friday at 261.2 - no surprise.
part of Bonaventure Cemetery - from The Book
I'm jumping back on the wagon this week and giving it another go... as per the usual.

The Lady & Sons Restaurant (Paula Deen's place!)
We then spent the latter half of the week in Tybee Island, and I worked on finishing The Book while sitting with my toes in the sand :) - I LOVE this life!  I would give up my current situation in a heartbeat if I knew that I could survive comfortably with some other job near the beach if I could do this on a more regular basis - but then again, who wouldn't?

Joel fished a lot - and only caught sharks.

We definitely loved our vacation, and even though it was a long drive, we were grateful and blessed for a safe and uneventful journey to/from Virginia. 

Anything else you care to know about Savannah?



Back at it again folks...
Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category Gain / Miscellaneous / Savannah GA / Weight Loss Challenges by title Hey Ya'll!. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2011/07/hey-ya.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo Hey Ya'll! Updated at : 3:00 PM
Monday, July 25, 2011

Post a Comment

 
Top