0
This is a late post about an awesome experience I had on April 30 at the University of Maryland's Maryland Day

Joel works for the police department as a police/911 dispatcher at UMD.  Each year, he participates in this Saturday event in order to fingerprint children.  Maryland Day was created a few years back in order to showcase what the university's departments are working on.  This year was the second year I attended.  My original intent in going was simply to get out of the house.  I had some computer stuff I wanted to do and was looking for a change of scenery in which to do it, and plus I love hanging out on college campuses - it brings back fond memories of the Blue & White. :)  Then on Friday, the day before the event, I happened to be perusing Facebook and realized that Joy Bauer was going to be in attendance for MD Day, thanks to her Facebook status update!  Joy Bauer is a health correspondent to the Today Show, the health columnist in Woman's Day magazine, and the nutritionist for the NYC Ballet & American Ballet Theatre.  I was sooooo pumped!  I LOVE the Today Show!  I watch it religiously when I work at home!  Yes!!

So my plans for MD Day shifted because of Joy, who happens to be a UMD Alumni.  Basically, in conjunction with dining hall chefs from the university, she held 30 min cooking segments throughout the day - cooking through her latest book - Slim & Scrumptious.  At the end of each cooking session, samples were passed around to the audience - I didn't have a sample I didn't like!  In between the cooking segments, she held mini sessions related to nutrition, fitness and weight loss.  It was all very inspirational and I learned some important things.  One of those things is that you should always have 5 go-to meals - 5 things that are easy and quick to make that don't require much thought.  By having these 5 meals, you're more likely to stay within your nutrition goals and not feel overwhelmed with choices, possibly resulting in a diet bomb!
I was SO excited!





Somewhere in the mix of cooking and speaking presentations, Joy stopped to sign autographs in her book.  I bought 2 of her books, Slim & Scrumptious and Your Inner Skinny, had them signed AND had my picture taken with her.  She also gave me her personal email address and asked that I send in 3 diet/nutrition questions for the Diet SOS segment on the Today show!!!!!!!!!!  She said she'd pass the questions on to the producers and then I could Skype in and ask them live on the air.  Holy moly!!!  I have yet to send in my questions - I'm still thinking about what to ask.  But I'm so pumped!

It was a Saturday well spent at the University of Maryland - if you're in the area I'd strongly recommend checking it out next year!
Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category by title I Love the Today Show!. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-love-today-show.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo I Love the Today Show! Updated at : 9:33 AM
Saturday, May 14, 2011

Post a Comment

 
Top