0
Courtesy of here.
I've been dealing with some lower back pain this week.  Over the weekend I did a lot of baking for Easter (5.5 hours worth!) and for some reason, being in Joel's kitchen for that length of time has been killing my back.  I never noticed this in my other kitchens though. 

Anyhow, yesterday at the gym I did W1D1 of C25K.  I'm not pursuing this program regularly, I simply forgot my magazines that I read while on the elliptical/ArcTrainer and had to find another distraction to keep the time ticking by.  About three-quarters through the C25K, my lower back started to spasm again like it did on Saturday.  In typical Hilary fashion, I would have used any excuse to cut the workout short and go home, but I actually really wanted to finish.  As I reached 26 minutes, shooting pains started resonating through my hips and I had to get off the treadmill.  The pain was literally taking my breath away.  Since my daily workout goal is 35 minutes, and I was only at 26, I figured I'd give the recumbent bike a try since I could sit down comfortably with a nice back rest.  In the end, I could only do 8 minutes on the bike and I had to stop.  By the time I left the gym I was limping out to the car.

The back spasms continued all night long, but getting some sleep definitely helped.  I plan to take the day off from the gym and just do hand weights when I get home.  I don't want to chance injury. 

What I am proud of here is my perseverance with the workout.  I'm of the mindset that if I take just a day off from exercise, I fear that I may never go back.  It's only been 4 solid, consistent months of hitting the gym and I don't yet feel comfortable with my discipline.  Still, I was proud that I pushed through the pain, until I couldn't walk, and still got most of what I needed to get done accomplished.  Still, I'm very mindful of the signals my body is giving me, and she wants a break!
Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category Exercise / Success by title Pushing Through the Pain. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2011/04/pushing-through-pain.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo Pushing Through the Pain Updated at : 9:24 AM
Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Post a Comment

 
Top