0
Yesterday I completed the Peter Mahon Memorial 5K that was held at La Plata High School in La Plata, MD. 

I didn't realize until I received the t-shirt that it was considered a "trail' run/walk.  I had never done one of these before but I figured it would be a scenic walk at least. 

And I got a number! I don't recall receiving a number in the first 5K I did MANY years ago.. but I was excited anyhow..


It had been a rainy week and so the majority of the walk was EXTREMELY muddy and wet! We got started on the high school track field and once we made it off the nice paved track, it was a sloppy mess!  My poor white shoes were brown by the end. 

I turned around to take this shot... hard to tell how muddy it actually was
I didn't want to stop too much to take pics because I wanted to see how quickly I could finish (by my watch I did it in 49 minutes, but I am waiting to hear the official results).  I did jog for about the first 5 minutes or so of the race.  About halfway through I jogged again for about a minute.  Then to finish off strong I ran the remaining distance of a high school track field - 1 lap around that.  Honestly, I had on my Reebok EasyTones and my calves were on FIRE so much so that it made it too difficult to run.  I think a lot of this had to do with the fact that because we weren't walking on nice, smooth ground, my legs were working overtime to stabilize myself (those shoes don't have a nice, even bottom), and then add in the special toning shoes and my muscles were burning.. but it was a good burn!

I felt good after the race and I'm looking forward to doing more over the next several months.  My next 5K is this upcoming Saturday, April 16.  It's the Run for Hospice of St Mary's County.

Courtesy.
Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category 5K by title 1st Annual Peter Mahon Memorial Trail Run/Walk 5K. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2011/04/1st-annual-peter-mahon-memorial-trail.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo 1st Annual Peter Mahon Memorial Trail Run/Walk 5K Updated at : 9:00 AM
Sunday, April 10, 2011

Post a Comment

 
Top