0
Yesterday I drove North along 93 and 318 up toward Ely on my way to Elko. North through a golden October afternoon with the desert grasses tan, red, orange, and green. After Alamo, I was drinking Arizona Green Tea with Honey and Ginseng, eating trail mix, and listening altenately to Sarah Brightman singing operatic Italian and Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire album -- indulging in Walter Mitty fantasies of myself as an ecclesiastical Johnny Yuma. "Dan Edwards was a bishop. He roamed through the West. He packed not star as he wandered far where the only law was a hook and a draw. The bishop. Away, away, away rode the bishop . . . etc."

Night had fallen by Ely. Between Wells and Elko -- it was getting late and I was pretty tired -- I was confronted by a rabbit -- an exceedlingly large rabbit. He was not hippity hopping across the highway. He was standing upright smack dab in the middle of my lane, facing me -- eyeball to eyeball. Which one of us would blink? Who would surrender the lane? Not Jack. I went around him. He never flinched. I bet Johnny Yuma was never stared down by a rabbit.

Today I did my 3rd Roving Workshop on the Eucharist. It was great. We had a good turnout from Elko plus folks from Fallon and Las Vegas. A good time was had by all. Tonight I am trying to finalize the sermon for tomorrow. I have Eucharists in Elko and Eureka with an animal blessing in Eureka.

Happy St. Francis Day everyone. An especially happy Frank's Day to the good folks in Macon, Georgia celebrating their 50th anniversary as a parish -- the youngest Episcopal parish in Macon. Wow.
Advertisement
You have just read the article News for today's that category by title Johnny Yuma And The Rabbit. You can bookmark this page with a URL https://news-these-days.blogspot.com/2009/10/johnny-yuma-and-rabbit.html. Thank you!
Posted by: Tukiyooo Johnny Yuma And The Rabbit Updated at : 8:27 PM
Saturday, October 3, 2009

Post a Comment

 
Top